Updates from the LHC HQ

First results from Heavy Ion collisions at the LHC (ALICE, ATLAS, CMS) 

I missed the first two events because I overslept (!) due to my weird sleeping habits nowadays (I can't sleep when I try to sleep earlier). But at least I caught Jurgen talking about ALICE's results. I can look at the slides for the rest (not that one can make as much sense to me without some explanation). It does seem as if they are getting the sort of results they have been looking forward to, even exceeding expectations. For ALICE as least, they've got all they want on the QGP, which is exciting. Finally they are beginning to feel like they are doing 'real physics' with actual data for 'new physics' instead of merely calibrating the tools many times over.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Containing Toxicity: Nuclear Waste as a Societal Challenge

A Philosophy of Artscience: Something Old, Something Novel

Updates on some forthcoming changes for this blog