It has been a busy past two months of constant writing, seminar presentation, travelling and finally, starting on a new summer job as a TA for a general physics course. A recent paper I submitted earlier this month on the topic of feminism, 'hard' science, feminist science fiction, and queerness, got me thinking about the notion of queerness in physics, and whether it is possible to think about queer physics. So far, none of the feminist epistemology of science essays I had read have quite pointed me towards that direction, so I need to think about this further. Nevertheless, my early postulate is that queer physics speaks about knowledge-making in physics that takes the form of subverting the hegemony of a dominant and mainstream discourse. It also interrogates the point of physics knowledge that have been marginalized or discarded, and query on what constitute the parameters of legitimacy governing their acceptance. It is possible that one can consider queer physics to on...
What qualifies as "toxic" in society is an inherently unstable category, dependent on risk assessment, structures of profit but also cultural ideas about safety and health. This joint lecture focus es on a specific form of toxicity, namely nuclear toxicity, through the example of management of nuclear fuel resource s, especially in their aftermath as waste. Starting with an overview of technoscientific risks consideration of nuclear, we will venture into questions of safety, recycling, storage, and stakeholders interpretation through art, broaching case-studies from Europe, Asia and the US. This joint-lecture falls under the Leonardo Lecture series, under the auspice of Excursus of Energy Transitions under the remit of "Resource Policy." https://www.leonardo.rwth-aachen.de/en/modules/suse-2023/resource-policy-2/
Update 2: Here is another talk I gave to a more arts-centred audience on some theories as well as art practices inspired by my book Update: I'd uploaded a preview chapter of my book on my Academia page as a teaser. I just completed a booktalk last Friday and will be doing another in May June, together with Universiti Sains Malaysia. focusing on a different topic. Will post on the event once confirmation and details are received. I found this old blog post about my residency at the Oregon State University Libraries Resident Scholar program and am reposting it here only because some of the work I did there made its way into the book! The book should have made its way to a number of main bookstores such as Silverfish books, Kinokuniya, MPH and Popular. You can also find some copies at Litbooks at Tropicana and also at The Space, Penang. My book is now available as Print-on-Demand in Singapore: https://www.sgbookshelf.com/product-page/artscience Here is the l...
Comments
Post a Comment